Friday, April 04, 2008

Where is the women's league?

There are only a few times when yelling “rip it in half” is appropriate at a sporting event. Maybe at an origami competition or a paper snowflake demolition derby? And yet, last week I found myself yelling just that. My friend Jose looked at me sideways on our bleacher bench, saying, “Wow, I didn’t think you’d get this into it…”

But how could you not get into kokpar, dubbed goat carcass polo by English speakers tying to simplify the event? How can you not be thrilled by two men on horseback, each holding onto one hind leg of a headless goat and trying to gallop away in opposite directions? Wouldn’t you, too, cheer for them?

There are not a whole lot of rules to kokpar, though there are two versions: team kokpar, where four riders from each side battle over the goat, and individual kokpar, aka a wild free-for-all with upwards of a hundred riders possible. We were watching team kokpar at the Shimkent hippodrome. I’d ridden a train 36 hours south to get to Shimkent, along with a whole crew of other volunteers, for Nauryz, Kazakhstan’s spring festival. Theoretically, I was there to visit with Americans, warm up after winter, drink some beer, practice my Kazakh language, and explore the rich culture of Kazakhstan. In reality, I’d been hearing about kokpar for almost two years now and the temptation to finally see it was just too great. The irony being that yesterday the head of our local sport school told me that our town was chosen to hold the annual oblast-wide kokpar festival this summer. I guess I didn’t have to go that far after all, though I like to think that northern kokpar will be a very different event. And while I was south, I did get to see and do some other cool things, like visit Kazakhstan’s holiest Muslim site, a gorgeous mausoleum to a 14th century Sufi, and drink fermented camel's milk.

Kokpar came at the end of an afternoon of riding events, most of which focused on skills needed to be a great kokpar player. Wresting on horseback (trying to wrench your opponent out of the saddle, a useful skill in the tight scrums trying to get to the goat), bareback races (you’ve got to be able to ride fast if you hope to make it to the goal), scooping scarves off the ground (quite a trick of balance and trust that riders must execute every time the carcass falls), and jumping (kokpar doesn’t stop if a horse or rider goes down; you need to work around obstacles). These events were all fascinating in their own right, of course. Especially kyz kuu, which translates as “kiss the girl,” and involves women on horseback trying to outrace a male suitor. If she’s faster over a set distance, she gets to whip her opponent on the way back. If he catches her, he throws his arm around her shoulders (still at a gallop) and tries to steal a kiss. People debate over the true rules or intentions of kyz kuu, but whatever the origins, the modern incarnation is fast and hilarious. My favorite was the confident young lady who not only won her race but managed to blow kisses and wave to the crowd as she rode; she was a cross between Miss Kazakhstan and Annie Oakley.

By the time kokpar rolled around, most of the Americans were already petering out of the stadium; it was hot and there was a basketball game scheduled between rival factions of volunteers. I made Jose (my guide for the rest of my southern tour) stay till the end of the first game with me. I if I had known there was going to be a second game I never would have left.

The best moments of the game were the beginnings of each new point. The carcass (soaked overnight and so less likely to fall apart) was placed on one side of the field and at the signal of the referee, all eight riders galloped at it from the other side, each trying to be the first to reach and snatch the goat. Much of the rest of the game was taken up in scrums as knots of riders fought for a chance to break away towards the goals. To score, a rider must toss the goat (cleanly, no points if there’s a leg hanging out) into the center of a large ring, which lies flat on the ground and is surrounded by a moat of old tires. If a rider takes the goat out of bounds, the carcass is brought to the middle of the field perpendicular to where it went out and both teams send one rider for a face-off.

Those are basically the only rules.

Substitutions are on a tag-out basis, unless someone falls from their horse, at which time their team can immediately send in another rider. This happened once and watching the team try to capture the rider-less horse was almost as exciting as the game. The last I saw of it, the horse had slipped through a loose net of riders and escaped into the parking lot.

Pictures of the game are not sufficient, of course, but I’ll try to get some up soon. And maybe of some of the other sights, like the mausoleum, Jose flying a kite on the steppe (a very Peace Corps moment), camels, and me sipping on fermented mare’s milk (kumis, not to be confused with shubat, the camel version).

Happy Spring!
-- Nora

2 comments:

Lena said...

Wow. That sounds absolutely amazing, Nora! Could you imagine having games like that here in the states? I get the giggles just thinking about professional teams running after goat carcasses at the Metrodome. ;)

Sounds like you are doing well--it's always wonderful to hear your updates!

Love,
Lena

Henry Spruth said...

I did not believe this was real, but youtube confirmed it... Crazy.
Still, I guess when you think about it, I play sports with pig carcasses, and cow hides.